FAQ – Preparation
Before Care for Tattoo Enhancement
All Cosmetic Tattoo procedures are multi session processes. You are required to come back for one touch up adjustment visit before it can be determined that your work is complete. Adjustment visits are scheduled at 6 week intervals or longer.
Be prepared for the colour intensity of your procedure to be significantly sharper, brighter or darker then what is expected for the final outcome. It will take time for this transition depending upon how quickly the outer layer of your skin exfoliates.
- Refrain from use of alcohol, aspirin- containing medications, ibuprofen, or other blood thinning medications for seven days before and two days after any procedure. No medications should ever be discontinued without consulting your Doctor.
- Any tweezing, tinting or waxing should be done at least 48 hrs prior to procedure. No eyelash extensions are to be worn with any eyeliner treatments.
- Since delicate skin or sensitive areas may swell slightly or redden, some clients feel its best not to make any social plans for a day or two following any procedure. Procedures may take longer then expected to complete under some circumstances.
- Do not wear contact lenses during or immediately following the eyeliner procedure. Remember to bring your glasses. You may resume wearing contact lenses as soon as your eyes return to their pre-tattooed condition.
- If you are having lip procedures and have a history of cold sores/fever blisters/herpex simplex, you will be required to obtain the proper antiviral tablets by a prescription or over the counter to prevent an outbreak.
How many treatments will I need?
Two treatments are needed, at least 6-8 weeks apart. Sometimes just one treatment is sufficient. With most procedures, the colour fades dramatically after a week. For the second treatment, the practitioner gauges the colour retention and adds the required amount of pigment.
Is it safe?
All our pigments are cosmetic grade meaning that they are sterilized and purified for cosmetic use. We only use pigments that have been trialled and tested to meet the Australian Cosmetic Standards. In addition, all our tools are single use only and are discarded after the treatment. Our Technicians are highly trained and experienced professionals.
Who can’t get a cosmetic tattoo?
As a precaution, Etch Artisan Technicians do not perform treatments on:
- Pregnant women – breast feeding mother’s must have consent from their GP.
- Technicians can request to view a copy of the Doctor’s consent before agreeing to or performing any treatment
- People with a history of epilepsy
- People undergoing treatment for cancer
- People on blood thinning medication
- Heavy smokers
- People on Accutane
Is there anything I should or shouldn’t do to help prepare for my cosmetic tattoo appointment?
Any blood thinning medication and supplements should be avoided for a minimum of 72 hours prior to your Cosmetic Tattoo session. Generally, these include medications such as Vitamin E, Aspirin, Niacin, Fish Oil and Ibuprofen (found in Advil and Nurofen). If you are unsure as the whether your medications fall into these groups, please discuss with your doctor first.
Alcohol should also be avoided the night before and the day of your treatment.
If you are having eyeliner tattoo, any eyelash serums will need to not be used 3 months prior. Eyelash extensions and bond must be removed before your treatment.
Does anything happen to my eyebrow hair?
No waxing/shaving is allowed on the day of the appointment although, we may tweeze some stray hairs to assist with creating desired shape.
For clients that have little to no natural hair – Our advanced artists are highly skilled to perform procedures with or without hair present in the eyebrow area.
How long does the tattoo last?
Cosmetic tattooing results are immediate. For brows and lip, results can last up to two years. For eyeliner, up to three. Hair colour, skin type, aftercare and lifestyle also affect longevity of the results.
Annual touch ups are paramount in preserving a fresh look. Done correctly, the treatments do not change colour and will fade naturally with time (semi-permanent). For areas such as brows, this allows future flexibility with shape, as the standards of beauty change.
Is a deposit required when I make the appointment booking?
Yes, $150 deposit is required upon booking for all new clients and new treatments.
Is there an age requirement?
To legally consent to cosmetic tattooing, you must be 18 years or older. Any Etch Artisan Technician holds the right to ask for identification if doubtful of the clients age.
Does the treatment hurt?
We use effective numbing creams with all our cosmetic tattooing services. This is applied 20 minutes prior to commencement of tattooing and then throughout the service as needed for optimum comfort. On a scale of “1” being no discomfort, clients often experience between a 2 and a 3 with the brow cosmetic tattooing service. Other factors such as menstrual cycles also affect level of sensitivity. Topical anaesthetics have been known to lose its intensity for regular smokers.
Can I have a botox treatment before a brow tattoo treatment?
Yes, it needs to be minimum 2 weeks prior to your appointment or 2 weeks after your treatment.
What lifestyle factors can affect my cosmetic tattoo?
There are many individual and lifestyle factors that will affect the longevity of your cosmetic tattoo, including:
- Lighter pigment colours such as blonde will fade faster than dark brown pigment
- Bleeding during the treatment reduced the amount of pigment absorbed
- Blood-thinning substances such as alcohol and certain medications and vitamins should not be consumed prior to or following an appointment
- Thyroid medication
- Sun exposure will lighten the pigment over time. Once healed, sunscreen should always be applied to reduce fading. Vaseline should be applied if you swim regularly
- Smoking causes cosmetic tattoo to fade faster
- Active ingredients in skin care can also cause cosmetic tattoos to fade faster so be diligent in keeping these products away from the treatment area.
How do you choose the right colour for my skin?
All Etch Artisan Technicians are appropriately trained for pigment matching. Factors such as skin tone, the colour of your hair and eyes come into play assisting the technician with the best colour match. You may like to bring along your own make-up (eyebrow pencil, lipstick) and a colour match can be made from this.
Can I bring children/friends to the appointment?
Unfortunately, due to health and safety regulations only the cosmetic tattooist artist and the client are allowed in the room. Friends are welcome to wait in the reception area. Please be reminded treatments can take up to 90 minutes.
What is the cancellation policy?
We respectfully ask for 72 hours’ notice in the event of a cancellation. If you fail to cancel your appointment within the 72 hours, full payment will be required to re-book. If you do not wish to rebook, you will forfeit the $150 holding deposit.
How do I book?
Feel free to use the online booking system but if your desired date or time is unavailable please contact us and we will do our best to find you an appointment.
FAQ – After
What happens during a cosmetic tattoo consultation?
What is the recovery time?
There is no down time, however the tattoo will take one week to fully heal. The tattoo will soften in colour by up to 20 – 30%. During this period, after care procedures should be carefully followed.
What can I expect during the healing process?
In the first few days following the procedure, pigment will appear dark and intense. Redness and swelling is rare, but may occur. The area treated will feel tender but should not be sore. The pigment will gradually lighten during the first few weeks.
Is it possible to return to work?
Yes. Most clients show little sign of swelling or redness after treatment. The colour will be quite dark at first. It will soften and lighten within 10 days. Lip treatment clients can experience moderate swelling and bruising and the colour will look strong for 3-7 days. With Lip tattoos I recommend taking minimum 3-4 days off work. It is only with the full lip treatment that swelling can last for up to 72 hours or even a little longer and the lips will be extremely dry. Some mature age clients may experience very sore and rough lips for approximately 7 days.
After Care for Tattoo Enhancement
Proper care following your enhancement is necessary to achieve the best results. You will be given an after care sheet on the day of your treatment to take with you. Please review the following instructions and refer to them as necessary. If during the healing process you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact us.
You may experience the following symptoms for 4 days
- Minor swelling and redness.
- Mild tenderness.
- Itchiness in the eyebrow area.
- Dry flaking skin.
These symptoms are a normal part of the healing process.
Daily care to follow for 7-10 days
- Bephanten Antiseptic cream is recommended for use on brows twice daily for healing and colour retention.
- No exercise for 3-4 days following the procedure.
- No sweating, saunas, hot tubs or steam rooms for 5 days.
- No ocean (salt or pool water) for 10-14 days.
- No retinol/vitamin A products on the forehead for 30 days.
- Do not pick, peel or scratch your healing skin as you may cause uneven healing of pigment, or you may risk infection or scarring.
The approximate healing period is 10-14 days, however healing can be prolonged if your immune system is compromised, if you are generally stressed and also by poor diet.
Keep in mind that in many cases, some unevenness of colour is to be expected. This is the purpose of the re-touch adjustment visit allowing us to fine tune your enhancement.
What is the aftercare procedure?
You will be given a container of Bepanthen Cream. This cream is an antiseptic containing almond oil which aids in soothing the treatment area, Vitamin B5 to assist the skins natural healing process and Benzalkonium Chloride – a safe and effective antiseptic agent.
What will happen after the cosmetic tattoo treatment?
Immediately after treatment, the colour will appear darker than your chosen shade. This is because the pigment takes around seven days to enter the deeper layers of the skin. After 7-10 days, exfoliation takes place. The top layer of the skin peels off, leaving a softer, lighter colour below. The result is a natural looking enhancement. As the treated area is settling down, itching may occur. This is a good sign as it means the skin is healing. Apply the recommended cream to the treated area as recommended.
To book an appointment, please call us on 0412 356 334. Due to high demand, a $150 holding deposit (bank transfer) is required to secure your appointment. This will be subtracted from the remaining total at the end of the treatment
We respectfully ask for 72 hours’ notice in the event of a cancellation. If you fail to cancel your appointment within the 72 hours, full payment will be required to re-book. If you do not wish to rebook, the $150 holding deposit will be kept by Etch Artisan
All treatments and purchases are non-refundable
For new clients, please plan to arrive 20 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow time for numbing cream to be applied and intake forms. If you are 15 minutes or later than your appointed time, unfortunately we cannot assure you will be seen for your treatment as there may be a client booked in after you. Please understand treatments need their full allocated time to get the best result possible, we cannot rush or cut corners.
Contradictions and Limitations
Any Etch Artisan Technician may request you seek doctor’s consent prior to performing treatments on clients with certain pre-existing conditions